2005-03-22

The Logical Conclusion Of Withholding Medical Treatment

More thoughts on the Terri Schiavo circus, well actually more questions. I'm not claiming this is possible, it is just a "what if" scenario.
What if Terri can be fed like a baby (that is one spoonful of pablum at a time)?

If that were possible would it be illegal for someone to feed her? And if it is illegal to feed her then how would that be different from someone feeding a quadriplegic or even a person with no arms?

The whole premise of the living will is to give an individual (or person they have have transferred the legal right to) the freedom to refuse medical treatment. The argument in the Schiavo case is the feeding tube is medical treatment and therefore can be withheld. Carried to extremes you could argue "if any medical treatment (the feeding tube) is withheld then all medical treatment should be withheld" - this would include the bed, HVAC, and the adult diapers. Just put her outside on a reclining vinyl chaise until she leaves this earth.

I am in favor of living wills (I have one) and I would hope my wife has the compassion to pull the plug on me if I am brain dead and in need of a machine to breathe. I would turn down painful treatment if it could only add a few days to the end of my life. Having stated that I still think it is barbaric to deny a living thing water just to make it die. Prayers of healing, peace, and understanding to all parties involved - heavens knows they need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home