2005-02-03

Super Bowl XXXIX - Fears of 1981

Anyone remember the Fog Bowl of 1981? I do. It was December 28, 1981 in Jacksonville, Florida. North Carolina played Arkansas in the Gator Bowl. I don't remember what time the kickoff was but it was a night game so I'd guess it was 8PM. By the end of the first quarter both teams were in a fog. I mean real Spanish moss gray fog. The press box could not see the field. The only cameras ABC could use were ground level and even those were fuzzy.

That was 23 years ago. The Gator Bowl has long since been demolished. But a new stadium was built on the same spot. Right on the edge of the St. Johns River. Which just happens to be where Super Bowl XXXIX will be played this Sunday night. And the weather this morning in Jacksonville? Extremely foggy. As a football fan I don't want to see a repeat of the 1981 Fog Bowl, but it could happen. Now wouldn't that make for a game to remember.

By the way, North Carolina won the 1981 Fog, er I mean, Gator Bowl 31-27. Check out this link for video of that game.

Welcome to The River City - a place of sunshine and fog

I'll get off on Main Street, step into the crowd,
Sidewalk under my feet, yeah, traffic's good and loud.
When I see my inner city child, I'll be walkin' on a cloud.

'Cause I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city
- from the song "Fool For The City" performed by Foghat (c) 1975 Dave Peverett

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home