2005-01-31

Berlin Wall or Tienanmen Square

I've seen a few positive revolutions in my life - end of Apartheid in South Africa, the fall of the Berlin War, the fall of Communism in the Soviet Union, and a ground swell of protest in Tienanmen Square. While the last revolution failed to stick, the others were successful. (sorry but I barely remember any of the civil rights battles in the US so I can't count that one). Sunday I witnessed the start of another revolution, this time in Iraq. Ink stained fingers held up in defiance of evil and terror give us cause to celebrate. I kept expecting someone to say they would give up freedom "when you pry it from my dead, ink stained hands". Will this one stick? Time will tell. I pray it is the birth of a nation and not the beginning of the end. At least for now the supporters of freedom really rocked the vote.
The shareef don't like it
(He thinks it's not kosher)
Rocking the Casbah
Rock the Casbah
The shareef don't like it
(Fundamentally he can't take it)
Rocking the Casbah
Rock the Casbah
The shareef don't like it
(You know he really hates it)
Rocking the Casbah
Rock the Casbah
- from the song "Rocking the Casbah" performed by The Clash (c) 1982

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home