2005-08-11

Don't Get Keyed Off


Less is More?
I've seen some hype for a company selling "Das Keyboard" for a mere US$79.95. The keyboard is all black, as in no markings on the keys. It is targeted at the "ubergeeks only", people that really know how to touch-type. How is this for ad copy:
Shouldn't your keyboard reflect your status as one of the elite? We think so!
Introducing Das Keyboard, a precision keyboard that says who you are.
Now it makes sense that a blank keyboard will (eventually) make you a better touch typist but for US$8.95 you can accomplish the same thing with a skin that covers the keys to make them blank. Of course that would make you look like a novice instead of an ubergeek, and after all its all about status isn't it?

Reviews of the "Das Keyboard" claim it mimics the IBM model M keyboard, regarded by many as the best keyboard around. So it is probably better than the $9.95 generic QWERTY board you get at the local store. I'm also surprised they missed two good marketing points:
1) makes it easy for QWERTY and Dvorak users to share a keyboard
2) saves time putting the keys back on after removing them to clean all the finger dandruff that collects under them.

Of course a skin keeps the dandruff out so you don't have to clean. I wonder how much they would charge for a set of imprinted replacement keys?

What I really want is a Quinqube LCD-boardTM. It is a keyboard with tiny LCD screens on each key. You could then switch from QWERTY to Dvorak to APL to Cyrillic displays at the touch of a button. Instead of function keys you could display an icon. Software would change the icons as you switch to different applications. When you held down the [Ctrl] or [Alt] key it would automatically change the keys to show the hotkeys for the active application. Of course they would have to be backlit so you could type in the dark. Although if you can use the "Das Keyboard" you don't need any light. If anyone wants to produce the Quinqube LCD-boardTM let me know I'll license it cheap. (be sure and include a couple of bucky keys on the deluxe model)

One parting shot at the ubergeeks buying "Das Keyboard", why not rearrange all your keys in alphabetical order. So pressing [A] would type Q, [B] would type W, [C] would type E, . . .[Z] would type M. Talk about confusing. If you can use that keyboard you earn the title ubergeek maximus.

It's been so long, I feel so out of touch
Thoughts cloud my heart and head
I think I think too much
The narrow path I follow, is it the right way?
I keep on dwelling in tomorrow
I should be living in today!
I'm having trouble with my thought process
And I'm no engineer
All the road to my brains are there
And the directions just aren't clear
- from the song "Can't See Not Saying" by MxPx (c)1998

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home